- •The amount of radiation exposure of cardiac ultrasound personnel was evaluated.
- •Post-MPI patients act as a measurable ‘’radiation source’’ for echocardiographers.
- •Radiation exposure depends on study duration and TTE method used.
- •Results were similar regardless of the degree of experience of the operator.
- •Cardiac sonographers who might be exposed to >1 mSv/y should be personally monitored.
Abbreviations:MPI (Myocardial perfusion imaging), PPD (Personal protective device), RSO (Radiation safety officer), TLD (Thermoluminescent dosimeter badge), TTE (Transthoracic echocardiography)
- Approaches to enhancing radiation safety in cardiovascular imaging a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2014; 130: 1730-1748
- Diagnostic performance of noninvasive myocardial perfusion imaging using single-photon emission computed tomography, cardiac magnetic resonance, and positron emission tomography imaging for the detection of obstructive coronary artery disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 59: 1719-1728
- The prognostic value of normal exercise myocardial perfusion imaging and exercise echocardiography. A meta-analysis.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007; 49: 227-237
- Prognostic value of stress myocardial perfusion positron emission tomography: results from a multicenter observational registry.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 61: 176-184
- Radiation exposure from medical imaging procedures.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 2290-2291
- BEIR VII: health risks from exposure to low levels of ionizing radiation: report in brief.Natl Acad. 2006; 93: 93-96
- ACCF/ASNC/ACR/AHA/ASE/SCCT/SCMR/SNM 2009 appropriate use criteria for cardiac radionuclide imaging.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009; 53: 2201-2229
- The appropriate and justified use of medical radiation in cardiovascular imaging: a position document of the ESC Associations of Cardiovascular Imaging, Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions and Electrophysiology.Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 665-672
- International Commission on Radiological Protection. The 2007 recommendations of the International Commission on Radiological protection. ICRP Publication No. 103.Ann ICRP. 2007; 37: 1-322
- Common strategic research agenda for radiation protection in medicine.Insights Imaging. 2017; 8: 183-197
- Is cancer risk of radiation workers larger than expected?.Occup Environ Med. 2009; 66: 789-796
- Mortality and cancer incidence following occupational radiation exposure: third analysis of the National Registry for Radiation Workers.Br J Cancer. 2009; 100: 206-212
US Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Regulatory guide 8.39 release of patients administered radioactive materials. April 1997. Available at: http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/.
- Subjecting radiologic imaging to the linear no-threshold hypothesis: a non sequitur!.J Nucl Med. 2017; 58: 1356
- Dose optimization to minimize radiation risk for children undergoing CT and nuclear medicine imaging is misguided and detrimental.J Nucl Med. 2017; 58: 865-868
- Linear no-threshold relationship is inconsistent with radiation biologic and experimental data.Radiology. 2009; 251: 13-22
- Estimating radiation-induced cancer risks at very low doses: rationale for using a linear no-threshold approach.Radiat Environ Biophys. 2006; 44: 253-256
- Radiation safety for the cardiac sonographer: recommendations of the radiation safety writing group for the council on cardiovascular sonography of the American society of echocardiography.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2014; 27: 811-816
- Nuclear medicine external radiation exposure of personnel working with 99m technetium.Eur J Nucl Med. 1982; 7: 237-239
- Brain tumours among interventional cardiologists: a cause for alarm? Report of four new cases from two cities and a review of the literature.EuroIntervention. 2012; 7: 1081-1086
Delacroix D, Guerre JP, Leblanc P, Hickman C. Radionuclide and radiation protection data handbook. Available at https://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/resources/safety-information/Radionuclide_Data_Handbook.pdf. Accessed March 6, 2018.
- Physics in Nuclear Medicine.4th ed. Saunders, Philadelphia2012
Cardiolite package insert (DuPont), Rev 573121–1007 (2008).
- Issues regarding radiation dosage of cardiac nuclear and radiography procedures.J Nucl Card. 2006; 13: 19-23
- MIRD Pamphlet No. 21: a generalized schema for radiopharmaceutical dosimetry—standardization of nomenclature.J Nucl Med. 2009; 50: 477-484
Conflicts of Interest: None.