- •In 301 MPN patients, PH was seen in 56%.
- •RV dysfunction was threefold more common among PH patients.
- •PH was associated with impaired LV compliance.
- •All-cause mortality was 27%, encompassing a total of 80 deaths.
- •Both PH grade and RV dysfunction independently conferred increased mortality risk.
Abbreviations:GLS (Global longitudinal strain), HR (Hazard ratio), LV (Left ventricular), LVEF (Left ventricular ejection fraction), MPN (Myeloproliferative neoplasm), PASP (Pulmonary artery systolic pressure), PH (Pulmonary hypertension), RV (Right ventricular), TAPSE (Tricuspid annular plane systolic excursion)
- Updated clinical classification of pulmonary hypertension.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 62: D34-D41
- Pulmonary hypertension in patients with essential thrombocythemia and reactive thrombocytosis.Leuk Lymphoma. 2007; 48: 1981-1987
- Incidence of pulmonary hypertension in patients with chronic myeloproliferative disorders.J Natl Med Assoc. 2006; 98: 1779-1782
- Incidence of pulmonary hypertension in patients with chronic myeloproliferative disorders.Haematologica. 2004; 89: 245-246
- Pulmonary hypertension in patients with myelofibrosis secondary to myeloproliferative diseases.Am J Hematol. 1999; 60: 130-135
- Unexplained pulmonary hypertension in chronic myeloproliferative disorders.Chest. 2001; 120: 801-808
- The 2016 revision to the World Health Organization classification of myeloid neoplasms and acute leukemia.Blood. 2016; 127: 2391-2405
- Continuous wave Doppler determination of right ventricular pressure: a simultaneous Doppler-catheterization study in 127 patients.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1985; 6: 750-756
- Noninvasive estimation of right ventricular systolic pressure by Doppler ultrasound in patients with tricuspid regurgitation.Circulation. 1984; 70: 657-662
- Noninvasive estimation of systolic pressure in the right ventricle in patients with tricuspid regurgitation.Eur Heart J. 1986; 7: 704-710
- The burden of fatigue and quality of life in myeloproliferative disorders (MPDs): an international Internet-based survey of 1179 MPD patients.Cancer. 2007; 109: 68-76
- The Myeloproliferative Neoplasm Symptom Assessment Form (MPN-SAF): international prospective validation and reliability trial in 402 patients.Blood. 2011; 118: 401-408
- Traditional and innovative echocardiographic parameters for the analysis of right ventricular performance in comparison with cardiac magnetic resonance.Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015; 16: 47-52
- Right ventricular global longitudinal strain is an independent predictor of right ventricular function: a multimodality study of cardiac magnetic resonance imaging, real time three-dimensional echocardiography and speckle tracking echocardiography.Echocardiography. 2015; 32: 966-974
- Prognostic value of right ventricular dysfunction in heart failure with reduced ejection fraction: superiority of longitudinal strain over tricuspid annular plane systolic excursion.Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2018; 11: e006894
- Incremental prognostic value of right ventricular strain in patients with acute decompensated heart failure.Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2018; 11: e007249
- Recommendations for cardiac chamber quantification by echocardiography in adults: an update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2015; 28: 1-39.e14
- Guidelines for performing a comprehensive transthoracic echocardiographic examination in adults: recommendations from the American Society of Echocardiography.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2019; 32: 1-64
- Tissue-based markers of right ventricular dysfunction in ischemic mitral regurgitation assessed via stress cardiac magnetic resonance and three-dimensional echocardiography.Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2019; 35: 683-693
- Echocardiography-quantified myocardial strain-a marker of global and regional infarct size that stratifies likelihood of left ventricular thrombus.Echocardiography. 2017; 34: 1623-1632
- Utility of pulmonary hypertension for the prediction of heart failure following acute myocardial infarction.Am J Cardiol. 2012; 109: 1254-1259
- Pulmonary hypertension is associated with a higher risk of heart failure hospitalization and mortality in patients with chronic kidney disease: the Jackson Heart Study.Circ Heart Fail. 2017; 10: e003940
- Pulmonary hypertension in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction: a community-based study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009; 53: 1119-1126
- Timing and magnitude of regional right ventricular function: a speckle tracking-derived strain study of normal subjects and patients with right ventricular dysfunction.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2010; 23: 823-831
- Prognostic implications of ejection fraction from linear echocardiographic dimensions: the Strong Heart Study.Am Heart J. 2003; 146: 527-534
- Prognostic significance of left ventricular mass change during treatment of hypertension.JAMA. 2004; 292: 2350-2356
- Echocardiographic assessment of left ventricular hypertrophy: comparison to necropsy findings.Am J Cardiol. 1986; 57: 450-458
- Echocardiographic determination of left ventricular mass in man. Anatomic validation of the method.Circulation. 1977; 55: 613-618
- Recommendations for the evaluation of left ventricular diastolic function by echocardiography.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2009; 22: 107-133
- Pulmonary hypertension in hypertensive patients: association with diastolic dysfunction and increased pulmonary vascular resistance.Echocardiography. 2014; 31: 442-448
- Right ventricular dysfunction impairs effort tolerance independent of left ventricular function among patients undergoing exercise stress myocardial perfusion imaging.Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2016; 9: e005115
- Outcome prediction by quantitative right ventricular function assessment in 575 subjects evaluated for pulmonary hypertension.Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013; 6: 711-721
- Prognostic value of right ventricular free wall strain in pulmonary hypertension patients with pseudo-normalized tricuspid annular plane systolic excursion values.Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2016; 32: 905-912
- Pulmonary veno-occlusive disease in myeloproliferative disorder.Eur Respir J. 2009; 33: 213-216
- Resolution of myelofibrosis-associated pulmonary arterial hypertension following allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.Pulm Circ. 2016; 6: 611-613
- Cardiac hypertrophy associated with myeloproliferative neoplasms in JAK2V617F transgenic mice.J Hematol Oncol. 2014; 7: 25
- Aberrant expression of transforming growth factor beta-1 (TGF beta-1) per se does not discriminate fibrotic from non-fibrotic chronic myeloproliferative disorders.J Pathol. 2005; 205: 548-557
- Bone morphogenetic proteins are overexpressed in the bone marrow of primary myelofibrosis and are apparently induced by fibrogenic cytokines.Am J Pathol. 2008; 172: 951-960
- Polycythemia vera megakaryocytes but not megakaryocytes from normal controls and patients with smokers polyglobuly spontaneously express IL-6 and IL-6R and secrete IL-6.Leukemia. 1999; 13: 327-334
- Inflammatory activation and left ventricular mass in essential hypertension.Am J Hypertens. 2009; 22: 444-450
- TGF-beta1 mediates the hypertrophic cardiomyocyte growth induced by angiotensin II.J Clin Invest. 2002; 109: 787-796
This work was funded by the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (J.M.S., J.W.W.), the Cancer Research & Treatment Fund (J.M.S, R.T.S., S.A.K., and C.S.), National Institutes of Health grant K23HL140092 , and the Bruce B. Lerman Clinical Scholar Award (J.K.).